We seek to sustainably grow nourishing foods for our community and engage, educate and equip existing and future farmers with the necessary knowledge and skills to be conscientious stewards of the land, regenerate soils and provide food to our community.
Sunflower Farm Acres, is the new production farm, stemming from Sunflower Farm’s educational demonstration farm. Sunflower Farm has been educating children and families about farming, animals, gardening and nature for over 20 years, and has now made the big step to grow food for the community through CSA shares, farmer’s markets, wholesale vegetable sales and on-site veggie sales. We are currently looking for a Harvest & Wash Station Manager. This could be 1 full time position or 2 shared part-time positions depending on the candidates, abilities and availability.
These employees would be responsible for the weekly 8-4 harvesting, post-harvest handling, bunch, packing and preparing vegetables to pack CSA boxes, for Thursday night’s distribution and stalking the Farm Store for mid-week and weekend sales. They would also be responsible for leading and overseeing the daily wash, processing and packaging of veggies. This includes managing and working daily with the farm crew consisting of full and part-time employees, and possibly volunteers to ensure that all food is properly harvested, washed, packaged and stored in our facilities. In the early spring this position will also help with seeding and daily field work.
Roles of Harvest & Wash Manager:
• Manage all aspects of post- harvest wash and pack from start to finish while managing staff to ensure efficient flow of product from field to storage to distribution.
• Supervise and lead employees in harvest and wash process.
• Ensures that the wash station is clean and sanitized throughout the work flow.
• Coordinates with farm manager to create and print pack list at start of day.
• Trains employees in properly wash, package, label and store veggies and ensures that all standards are followed daily.
• Responsible for keeping track of orders, labeling, organizing and maintaining cleanliness, in pack house and walk ins.
• Coordinates with CSA Manager to facilitate weekly CSA box.
• Ensures at end of day wash station is clean and all items are stored properly
Two years of previous farm and management experience is required including wash and pack, plus fieldwork on a farm with seeding, transplanting, irrigation, and harvesting experience is required. Leadership abilities in a fast- paced outdoor environment is key! Great communication with other staff members is also key!
Successful candidates love working outside in all weather conditions, must be physically fit to lift at least 50 pounds and be able and willing to walk, kneel and stand all day in the heat or rain.
This is a seasonal full or split part time position, beginning at the end of March through mid November. CSA distribution will be closed the week of July 4th and the staff will receive 5 paid days of vacation that week. Free veggies, as needed will also be a perk of this position!
Pay will be decided based on experience and will be between $21-$23 per hour. If interested please email a cover letter and resume.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.