compensation: $15/hour plus mileage reimbursement and cell phone stipend employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Position Title: Water Conservation Technician
Employer: Resource Central; Boulder, CO
Job Status: Approximately 32-40 hours/week; Temporary, May – August (with opportunities to extend longer)
Salary: $15/hour plus mileage reimbursement and cell phone stipend
Reports To: Senior Water Program Coordinator
Location: Primarily Denver and Boulder metro areas with occasional travel as far as Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, and/or Breckenridge areas possible
About Resource Central
We’re an innovative nonprofit determined to make conservation so simple that people don’t even realize they’re doing it. Founded in 1976, our programs in water, energy, and waste have helped more than 600,000 people save money, improve their homes, and conserve natural resources. Learn more at: ResourceCentral.org.
Resource Central Mission To put conservation into action.
Resource Central is at the forefront of empowering Colorado residents and businesses to conserve water through our assortment of approachable, practical, and economical program offerings and partnerships with over 40 cities and water utilities. Water Conservation Technicians play a key role in achieving our mission of putting conservation into action by delivering our Slow the Flow, Lawn Removal Service, and Garden In A Box programs across the Front Range. The Water Conservation Technician positions offer the opportunity to work outdoors and make measurable contributions toward sustainability in your community. We’re seeking energetic and enterprising applicants who want to work hard and don’t mind getting a bit dirty while empowering homeowners to reduce their water use. Ideal candidates have outstanding communication and customer service skills and are eager to learn new skills. Successful applicants will receive training about how to engage with and educate homeowners, business owners, and property managers about water conservation and best practices in landscaping, irrigation, and xeriscaping. All Technicians will be taught valuable green-industry skills that will prepare them for careers in sustainability, conservation, and advocacy.
Principle duties include providing outstanding customer service and advancing Resource Central’s program goals. This includes providing practical solutions to community members to help them save water, maintain healthy lawns, and make waterwise landscaping the new norm in Colorado. In addition, successful applicants can expect to work in the following areas:
Slow the Flow program (Approximately 3 days per week)
● Drive to prescheduled appointments at private homes and businesses to test and collect data on outdoor sprinkler systems to help conserve water
● Educate homeowners and business owners on best practices in outdoor water use. Update sprinkler control clocks to a more efficient schedule if needed
● Input data for technical reporting in a timely and professional manner
● Ensure that collected data is correct and complete
Lawn Removal Service program (Approximately 2 days per week)
● Promote water conservation by cutting and removing sections of grass lawn from private homes and businesses across the Front Range using a sod cutter, hand tools, and other small machinery
● Operate a truck with trailer and/or cargo van
● Maintain equipment and troubleshoot problems in the field
● Collect and report basic landscape data and photographs
Garden In A Box program (Participation in this program is only available to Technicians able to start April 29th)
● Prepare for and assist with drive-through waterwise garden distribution event setup and breakdown across the Front Range
● Unload and move heavy plant carts while keeping inventory organized
● Provide direction to volunteers while creating a fun and positive volunteer experience
● Confirm and accurately fulfill customer orders, answer basic questions about xeriscaping and plant care, and work independently to troubleshoot order discrepancies
● Occasionally assist with administrative duties including responding to customer phone calls and emails
Resource Central provides field-based outdoor conservation services to over 40 water districts as far north as Fort Collins and as far south as Fountain. We seek to hire technicians who reside within our four main service regions: Boulder County, Denver metro, South Denver, and Northern Colorado. Preference will be given to candidates who live within 30 miles of our contracted water partners. Technicians can expect to primarily conduct appointments at job sites within a 10-30-mile radius of where they live as well as attend weekly team Zoom video meetings.
Skills and Qualifications
● Superior communication and customer service skills. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus but not required.
● Passion for or strong desire to learn about water conservation
● Ability to work independently and in teams efficiently
● Flexible schedule and availability; reliability is a must
● Ability to clearly and concisely analyze and explain data
● Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively. Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented mindset
● Background or field experience in natural resource management, environmental studies, horticulture, landscaping, irrigation or similar field preferred
● Basic computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel preferred but not required
Essential Job Functions
● Must be willing and able to work outdoors in all kinds of weather including high temperatures and rain
● Must have a valid driver’s license, access to reliable transportation, automobile insurance and a ‘smart’ cell phone. Significant travel by personal vehicle will be required and will be reimbursed
● Must be able to pass a background check and drug screening if administered
● Must be able to lift 50 pounds, walk three miles, and kneel, lift, and bend throughout the day for several days in a row
● For those available in May: be available to work Saturdays and some weeknights
Application Deadline Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Open until filled.
Start Date Three start dates are available: April 29, May 3 or June 7. Please indicate your preferred start date in your cover letter.
Application Process To apply, submit a cover letter and a resume with the subject “Water Conservation Technician”
Resource Central is dedicated to equal employment opportunities. We provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job, without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, military status, gender expression, genetic information or any other classification protected by applicable state or local law. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers